Monday, July 08, 2019

My Latest Quilt has me Hitting the Wall!

 Every single quilt I've ever worked on, somewhere between half and three quarters done the piecing (after the first rush of seeing what it will look like when done), I balk and don't want to continue for a while.
My interest in working on a quilt doesn't just die back a little bit, it just refuses to want to work on it anymore!
No matter how excited I am!!
It happens especially if I find something that distracts me. :)

I've come to believe, just like athlete's - quilters can hit the wall, too!

What I have learnt to do, to get myself to work past this feeling, has allowed me to finished dozens and dozens of quilts.
I start by taking a mini break from working on the quilt - a day or two.
And then I push my way through.
I don't make myself work hard or long on it, but a little bit, every single day.
And before too long, what always happens, is I see the end line - I see the quilt coming together.
Then I want to sew like crazy and finish it.

This trick has helped me avoid having any UFO's!

Does this happen to you, too?


Keep Calm and Sew On!



 Email Me Facebook Twitter Instagram Pinterest

5 comments:

  1. Oh yes, Working in shorter intervals always helps me a lot, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am working on one in this manner now. I have started 7 quilts and have yet to finish one! The one I am working on now is the furthest I have gotten on any of them. I am determined to finnish it, and then finish one I started over a year ago,,,, using the same method.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would agree that this happens with most, if not all, of my quilts. I do the same thing--take a break (only a day or so) and push through. It usually doesn't take more than an hour or so for the excitement to come back, though a few projects have "dragged" longer. I think the most important thing we can do is push. I generally do not allow myself to set projects aside to become UFO's because then they can really lose their momentum and hit a BIG wall (sometimes an event will come up that has a more pressing deadline--if this happens, I will switch to that one, and then go right back to the previous project and push till the excitement is back).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this, Cheree!
      <3

      Delete