Tuesday, July 24, 2018

Applique ~ Basting Method

In the years I've been quilting, I've appliqued a lot.
Mostly by hand, and I will never claim to know anything about machine applique.
Even if I fuse my patches, I tend to add the blanket stitch around the edge by hand, as my quilting.

If you're interested, you can see my many applique quilt designs here.

There are different methods to prepare your patches, and sometimes one method is better for a project than another.
I've never liked needle turning, because tucking the seam, just before I stitch, never let me have the smooth seams I wanted.
That is why I added the step of basting the seams first, before stitching it to the background, and then minor adjustments, if needed, are easy to obtain.

Stitching first to interfacing and then turning the motif only really works for very simple shapes, and the fact you have to first stitch them on the machine defeats what I love about applique.

I personally have used, and liked brushing starch onto the seams, and then pressing it over cardboard. This especially worked great for the windows I appliqued in my pictorial house quilts.
But I don't use glue - ever.
I don't like the idea of stitching through it, or having it in my quilt after the stitching is complete.
And I don't like to 'have' to wash my quilt to remove it, if it is washable.

Today I'm sharing my Basting Applique method, and invite you to try it using a heart shape - which is a great shape to practice applique with, as it contains straight edges, curves, a point and a 'v' to stitch.

I covered making the template in yesterdays post here.


Draw the heart shape onto the right-side of the fabric
by tracing around the template with a chalk pencil.


Cut around the outside of the drawn line using pinking shears,
leaving a scant ¼" seam allowance.
If you use regular scissors you will need to clip the curves for ease in turning.


Clip into the seam allowance of the 'v' until you are a thread away from the drawn line.


I've mentioned my basting thread tin before - I have a large cone of white cotton thread.
Scrap thread could be used, but I find white the best for not leaving any colour behind, after you remove it.

The [Stitches] file I refer to below is another free printable you can request from my site, with instructions on how to do different stitches used in quilting.


1. Finger press the seam allowance to the back of the patch and baste it to hold in place [Stitches-#3c].



Finger press the seam allowance back along
the drawn chalk line and baste to hold in place.


At the point, first finger press the seam as shown,
trim the excess, and then finger press the right side
and then the left, before basting the point.


Then continue until you've gotten back to the beginning.

2. Baste the heart to the background fabric.


Temporarily pin in place as you baste the prepared heart onto the background fabric.


After removing the pins you are ready to stitch the heart to the background.

3. Using 18" of thread that matches the heart (not the background), blind-stitch [Stitches-#1] the heart to the background.


With a knot at the end of your thread, bring the needle and thread up through the background fabric and catch just a few threads of the folded edge of the heart patch.


Put the needle back through the background fabric,
straight across from where you just came up.
Come back up again about 1/16" to 1/8" away,
through both the back and the folded edge of the heart fabric. 

Keep stitching around the patch, making slight adjustments
to the seam allowance, if necessary, as you sew along.

Tips about thread:
~ If your thread begins to twist, dangle the needle to allow it to untwist.
~If the thread begins to form knots, try threading your needle from the other end of the thread than you usually do....as thread has a direction and usually works better one way over the other.


When you get to the point, take a stitch just to the right of the point, then at the point and then just to the left of the point.


As with the point, take three stitches at the inside 'v'.

4. End with a knot on the back of the background fabric, behind the heart patch.



When you have stitched around the whole shape you can remove the basting.




Member's of Victoriana Quilt Designs can find the complete
Applique Basics Workshop online here.


Happy Stitching!


 Email Me Facebook Twitter Instagram Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment