Thursday, July 26, 2018

Scrapbook Block

Stopping to smell the roses today...
I'll be taking part of the day to play - with a new idea, that has nothing to do with anything I've been extra busy working on.
Don't they say, a change is as good as a rest?
And I do need a rest!

Though, with my to-do list as long as it is, I dare not stop for too long.
Exciting news, up and coming - Watch this space. :)


You'll find the A Novel Idea July block online this morning - it's a Scrapbook.

A Novel Idea Free Block of the Month

I love how this scrapbook looks! I had several fabrics with a collage of pictures or postcards I could have chosen.
Alternative Design Idea: If I had fabric with small stamps on it, I would have used it (as I am a stamp collector), but I didn't have any in my collection, though I know I've seen them online over the years.
You can see the tutorial and request the layout guide & templates for this free Block of the Month here.


As I've been sharing my applique tips this week, this scrapbook block (upside down in this picture) gives me a good opportunity to share another tip!
You can see how I've basted the seam allowances over, before I start stitching.
When I'm stitching multicoloured fabrics, like the scrapbook fabric, I like to change threads, when there's a significant colour change along the edge, as I don't want my stitches to be obvious.


For this block, I pulled out all of these thread colours as options.
I did not end up using all of them.

You knot off on the back before changing colours, unless it's only a tiny amount of space before you use that colour again. Then just guide the needle between the layers to the next area.
Here are two options for changing the thread colours...
1. Either go around the patch, stitching all the areas using the colour you have threaded on your needle.
This is actually an advantage of using the basting method, as the seam allowances are prepared in advance.

2. Change thread colours each time you get to the next colour.
To save time, if you have enough needles, you could have one needle for each thread colour, so you just need to pick a new needle, without re-threading it each time.



Happy Stitching!


 Email Me Facebook Twitter Instagram Pinterest


No comments:

Post a Comment