Wednesday, June 13, 2018

Using Striped Borders in Quilts + a New Free Pattern

Pearls & Lace Quilt Pattern

I usually start collecting fabric for a quilt with a multi-coloured print that I love.
And then I pull all the fabrics & colours using that fabric as a guide.
I don't always end up using the multi-coloured fabric in the quilt, and only use it for the colour inspiration.
If I have yardage of it, I have used it as the backing of that quilt.


Finding a striped border to pull all the colours from can be a good way to approach this method of choosing.
It's a wonderful way to frame and 'hold in' the design.

My Pearls and Lace quilt is a perfect example of this.
I used it as the accent border, between the center 'pearls/lace' and the larger gingham border.




I'm sharing a bit of a striped border quilt show, to show more examples.

Winter Wonderland Quilt Pattern

My Winter Wonderland quilt began with the striped border and the sky, and the other fabrics were chosen from there.
I happened to also have a piece of multi-coloured 'patchwork' fabric from my Mom's stash that is exactly these colours, too. I had just the perfect amount to back this wall hanging. You can see a bit of it on the web page, where I show the label on the back.


Harlequin Frogs Free Quilt Pattern
Harlequin Frogs also started with the multi-coloured striped fabric.
I didn't use all the colours in that stripe - ignoring the pale blue.
I added cornerstone blocks to the corners, which is another nice touch.
Psst....These cornerstone blocks will be the next addition to my 'Make Your Quilt a Matching Border series' - in the same sizes as the border designs (see below).



Preview of Stuffies Monkey quilt coming soon!
I used this same design for the border of my upcoming Stuffies Monkey quilt, too.



Midnight in the Garden...of Good and Sweet Quilt Pattern
I wanted to use my collection of polka dots & gingham fabrics for my Midnight in the Garden...of Good & Sweet quilt. Putting them against the black dot makes the colours pop. The rainbow accent border was perfect to frame the design, and for an added bonus, the multi-coloured floral print had the perfect colours, too! 


Cuddly Comfort Flannel Quilt Pattern with Matching Book
This Cuddly Comfort quilt is another example of having the striped accent border match the larger border.


It's not always possible to find just the right striped fabric, though, and that's why I decided to make my own.
And today I'm sharing this new free quilt pattern with you - the first in a series!


3 Colour Striped Matching Border Free Quilt Pattern - In 5 Sizes
To get your free pattern, click the 3 Colour Striped Matching Border link and all the details are there.
I hope you'll share your picture, when you use this pattern.
I'd love to see how you use it.

And stay tuned for more versions...


Happy Stitching!


 Email Me Facebook Twitter Instagram Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment